Tuesday 25 June 2013

More on Cholesterol

I mentioned my cholesterol blood test a while back (see this entry) and I realize that I never updated on what happened next: the surgery rang me and said that the GP wanted to see me about it! This was despite having been told by them that I was NORMAL and they had confirmed no further action was required. So I asked the obvious questions "Has he seen the test result? Is this really necessary?" which was all too much for them.  Clearly they are not accustomed to people asking questions, but after two such phone calls I gave in and made an appointment with the GP.

He got off to a bad start by saying "we've had this letter from a hospital in London which asks us..." at which I said "yes, I know, I myself gave that to the nurse when I had the blood test".  (In fact I virtually had to force it on her.)  Anyway, it turns out that my overall cholesterol level had fallen and was indeed now acceptable, but the low density cholesterol (the worst sort) was 3.5 and the letter said "If LDL > 3 ..."  So we had a long chat about this - he was pretty unhappy about being asked to do something by someone else - and I agreed to take the Atorvastatin stuff for three months and then do another fasting blood test to see if it did any good.

Well, I've only finished the first month of the prescription for Atorvastatin and I'm not taking any more until I've seen the GP again.  The leaflet says that one of the possible side effects is sleeplessness; I suffered several dreadful nights whilst taking it, so I've stopped and - hey! I've been sleeping pretty well!

No comments:

Post a Comment