Friday 11 October 2013

See you Tuesday, Brother!

"I'll see you next Tuesday then, don't be late."  I think that was the moment yesterday when it hit home to both of us that we are almost there.  It's 20 months since I volunteered and at times things have moved slowly but the last few weeks have rushed past.

We were at the hospital yesterday, and it was the last time for me as the operation will be performed at a larger (and better known) hospital nearby. The purpose of the visit was, as ever, for some more blood samples; these were the ones for the last minute cross-match.  This had puzzled me a lot as no cross-match was done at the start of the process, which seems odd for such an important thing.  This has been explained to me and I think it is something to do with the fact that we are both blood group O, so there are no antibodies present, neither has Tim had any introduced by any treatment. (You can tell I am still a bit puzzled by this.)

Anyway, asuming that is still clear (and there's no reason why not) then we are all systems go to turn up on Tuesday for admission starting with a set of very last minute tests and various interviews/meetings.  They often operate on two pairs on the same day but we are the only pair being done next Wednesday.  This is good because it means there's no issue of being second and having to wait around until noon, so I'll be going down between 8 and 9am with Tim following at some suitable point during my operation.

Life has been a bit hectic as I have been finishing and handing over lots of jobs.  I think I'm finished outside but inside the house still has a few little tasks, and my churchwarden duties (of which there are a lot) are getting dumped on anyone I can!

It now seems that I am expected to hang around near the hospital for a few days until I see the surgeon again; this should now happen on the following Tuesday and, if all is well, I will come home that day. I'm grateful to another of my brothers for looking after both of us for that time - apart from accommodation I think he is also providing a taxi service for Jane to come and visit me (but we'll know more about that on Tuesday).  After I come home, I think they intend to transfer my care to my local transplant centre. I am very happy with this as I was treated really well by them when they did all my initial tests, and it will be good that they have the interest in my long-term care.

No comments:

Post a Comment